Nostrification Procedure

Applicants need to submit:

  • A notarized (officially certified) copy of a secondary school leaving certificate (diploma);
  • A document confirming the content and scope of education completed in a foreign school (all subjects with the number of hours for every particular year of study);
  • An apostille or a legalization clause on the above documents if necessary (legalization by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the state where the certificate was issued as well as legalization by the Embassy of the Czech Republic) – depends on the state where the certificate was issued;
  • Official translations into Czech of the above documents, made by a translator listed on the Register of Certified Forensic Experts and Translators of the Czech Republic;
  • A filled in “Žádost o uznání zahraničního vzdělání“ (Application for the Recognition of Foreign Education);
  • A receipt of payment for the administrative fee CZK 1000 (cash payment).

All the above documents should be submitted to one of the Regional Authorities in the Czech Republic, depending on the applicant’s address in the Czech Republic. In case the applicant has no address in the Czech Republic, he/she can choose and submit the documents to one of the Regional Authorities, e.g. to the :

Magistrát hl. m. Prahy, odbor školství, mládeže a sportu
Jungmannova 29/35
110 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

Official Hours
Monday 12:00 – 17:00
Wednesday 8:00 – 11:30 and 12:30 – 18:00

Recognition of certificates

The Regional Authority can:

  • issue a “Certificate of Equivalence” in case of the existence of an international treaty recognizing the equivalence of educational documents;
  • issue a positive decision on the recognition of a foreign certificate in the case of the same content and scope of education;
  • issue a negative decision on the recognition of a foreign certificate in the case of completely different content or scope of education;
  • order a nostrification examination (from chosen subject/s), which must be passed as a prerequisite for a positive decision, in the case of partially different content or scope of education. It can be done with the help of a court interpreter, on the applicant´s expenses.

Without the nostrification of your secondary school leaving certificate, you cannot be enrolled in the study as a full-time student, only as a lifelong learning student. The credits earned within the lifelong learning will be then transferred into the full-time study. Please note that out of the total 180 ECTS required for finishing the study only 60 % can be transferred from lifelong learning.