Health Insurance

EU citizens

Students from EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are entitled to the provision of necessary and urgent health care free-of-charge. It is only necessary that they have a certified E 128 form from their home country or a European Health Insurance Card, which replaces the paper forms needed.
It is highly recommended to have a supplementary travel health insurance. It should be gotten before the student leaves the country of the origin.

Non-EU citizens

Students from non-EU countries, staying in the Czech Republic longer than 3 months, must contract an insurance with an insurance company, which is licensed to operate the insurance in the territory of the Czech Republic according to a special legal regulation, i.e.:

  • National insurance companies and insurance companies from non-EU countries that were provided by the Czech National Bank with a licence to carry on insurance business;
  • Insurance companies from other EU countries, whose operations in the Czech Republic are based on the right to set up branch offices or are based on the freedom to provide services temporarily.

It is recommended to consult the Czech Embassy or consulate and verify whether the insurance meets the requirements for an application for a visa or residence permit for stays longer than 90 days.
Travel medical insurance must cover the cost of emergency medical care, including medical evacuation or, in the event of death, repatriation of remains to the country that has issued the applicant’s travel document or to the applicant´s country of residence. The insurance policy must not exclude coverage for injuries and damage caused by the applicant’s intentional acts, injuries and damage caused by a fault or contributory fault on the part of the applicant, and injuries and damage caused by the consumption of alcohol, narcotic and psychotropic substances by the applicant. The minimum coverage is EUR 60 000 per one insured event without any coinsurance or copayment.